June 24, 2011

TRDC: FLASH...ah ah...savior of the universe

Okay, so I'm dipping my toes back into the writing prompts. I'm not sure how this is going to go. Wish me luck!

ASSIGNMENT:
This week's Red Writing Hood prompt comes from Carrie of Views from Nature.


Flash Fiction can be fun and a real challenge. This week focus on the words and the strength of each to contribute to your story. Write a 300 word piece using the following word for inspiration: LIFE.

RESULT:
“It’s not the words,” she whispered, “I sort of knew that’s how you’d feel. It just sounds like…like you hate me.” 


Cory rolled his eyes and stalked to the other side of the room. He ran his hand across his forehead, hoping that if he rubbed hard enough he could erase this situation, this terrible day.

“I just thought we were being careful. I mean we’ve been dating for, what, 4 months?” Cory was really getting worked up now and his words started tumbling out, faster than his mind could keep up. He knew he should stop. He knew he should take a deep breath before he said anything else, but once he started the words just kept coming.

“I mean this wasn’t anything serious. It was just a good time. It’s not like we were going to have a life together.”

The instant the last letter tumbled over his lips Cory knew it was over. The air was sucked out of the room like a back draft created by the fiery rage he saw flash in Keri’s eyes.

“Wait. That’s not what I meant.” Cory rushed to explain as Keri grabbed her keys and ran for the door. “Wait, wait. I just need a second to think.”

“Don’t bother,” Keri snapped, “I wouldn’t want you to have to make a life with me. I won’t bother you again.”

“Just wait. What are you going to do about…”

“You’ve made it clear that you don’t care, so don’t start worrying now.”

And then she was gone, the door bouncing in its frame behind her.