July 20, 2010

The good, the bad, and the about to get ugly in here

THE GOOD:

Drama Mama over at The Scoop on Poop, passed this lovely award onto me today. Ahhh, these things make me happy...lovin' the love. So thank you DM, your scoop and your poop are beyond compare.Take a minute and check for yourself. Seriously. Do it.

Ok so here are the fun parts...passing it on and 7 things about me...

Jenny at Yankovich 6 Pack
Brittany at Unexpected Surprises
Chelsea Rebecca at TRIUMPHS and blunders of a KOOKY gal
Lindsey at This is our life
Katie at The Nerdy Katie
Andra at The Domestic Project
Ian at THE DAILY DOSE OF REALITY
Kady at Take A Mom's Word For It
Brandi at My Three Bubs
Dandee at My Favorite Things

1. I watch a lot of tv. Really a lot of tv. I suppose it's dropped off some since the arrival of Pie though. I love lamp. I mean...I love tv.
2. I love adult beverages of almost any kind...except spiced rum. Hell to the no on that one.
3. No matter how bad a movie is, if I've invested enough time in it (more than 20 minutes or so) I feel obligated to watch the end of it.
4. I dig a scruffy sort of dude. Think Dave Matthews, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogan. They only pretty boy I've been enjoying of late is Eric from True Blood. Yum.
5. I always knew I'd marry a man with an accent...I guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking European, I got Southern.
6. I refuse to go in natural bodies of water further than about calf level. I just can't make myself be in the same place as all kinds of unknown, possibly bite-y things that will touch me without my permission.
7. My favorite curse word changes frequently. At the moment it's balls. But you have to say it loud and all angry like...BALLS!

THE BAD:
This little girl has you all fooled. She looks sweet and innocent, but she is punishing me with a capital "P". We had 10 days together during vacation. It was bliss. We got home and went to court the next day. Then, I had to go back to work. Ever since she has made sure I know how unhappy she is with me. Deliberate turning away, stopping the smiles, the laughs...she's a stinker!


THE UGLY:
I was reading a post out in bloggy land about adoption. The general sentiments of the writer were that adoption was selfish, that the only really selfless choice is to parent or abort, and adoption in general was tantamount to abandonment. The post goes on to comment that any adoptive parent who might have sympathy for a birth parent is simply faking to get their greedy, grubby hands on a baby to fill their desperate and barren life.

Whew. I don't normally get into stuff like this. I really think to each his own...everyone has the right to their opinion. HOWEVER, if you put your opinion out into the universe you must also be prepared to have others comment. My comment is WTF! Seriously...WTF?!

I cannot, no matter how I try to frame it, think of this point of view as anything other than bitter and wildly skewed. I am not making any political or social commentary about what I think of abortion, but the fact that there are people (the writer and many, many commenters) who believe that it is preferably to adoption, and that adoption is not a viable and valuable choice floors me. There are thousands upon thousands of families created through adoption. Loving people who have a child/children because of it, and children who now have families and homes because of it.

I am not naive. I know there are plenty of adoptions that don't go well, for the family or the child. I know there are people out there who adopt and then send the kid back to Russia with a note that he's too hyper. I know that. But for every one story like that, there are hundreds or thousands like my own. There are also adoptive parents who do care for the well being of the birth parents. While we can have sympathy, we cannot have empathy...unless we've gone through the situation on both sides. I get being bothered by someone saying, "Oh I know exactly how you feel" because they likely don't. But what's wrong with someone saying. "this has got to be hard/sad/confusing/etc for you and I'm sorry for that"?

I'm actually shaking I'm so, I don't even know, pissed...shocked...saddened...by this. I really don't know what else to say about it. I just can't fathom having that point of view...

Sorry this one was so long. I apparently had quite a bit to say :-D

24 comments:

sara said...

Thank you Cris. I was just floored by that point of view...I still can't comprehend it.

Kayla said...

Wow who ever posted that clearly doesnt have a clue and should be hung by their toes. DH and I discussed that if we could not consieve then we would adopt. Its such a grand jesture that you saved a childs life in most cases. God bless you sara because i would have reemed that blogger!

Swistle said...

I've read several anti-adoption posts in the last year or so, and they always leave me shaking with rage, and either crying or on the verge of it.

Marc said...

Stupid is as Stupid Does. Face it, there are PLENTY of Ignorant people out in the world and that ignorance takes many forms. I have it on good authority that the writer of that blog also think the world is flat, a womans place is in the home, one race is better then another and we should burn as many witches as we can find!

sara said...

Kayla - I seriously had to step away from the computer. Thankfully I got busy after that so I didn't have a chance to go back. I would have made a crazy scene otherwise.

sara said...

Swistle - I don't know where that's coming from recently. I couldn't sleep last night ebcause I was still so shaken from it. I guess it's a hot button for me...just immediately sent me over the edge.

sara said...

Marc - Wait. The world ISN'T flat?!

Lindsey said...

Thank you SO much for passing this award on to me!!
Oh, I am so glad you have 100% good intentions about your little sweet one. Your a wonderful mom for that.
Happy Tuesday :)

Lindsey said...

I forgot to comment about your list!
I actually like spiced rum when mixed with sprite. Its very close to tasting like cream soda.
BALLS-thats hilarious! I actually say that too :)
and my husband and I are going to start watching True Blood tonight. I have heard only good things and were pretty excited. Although I am not the biggest fan of the main girl in it...

sara said...

Lindsey - It's well deserved! And I love the photobooth pics you just took. So cute!!

sara said...

Lindsey - I love True Blood...have watched from the beginning. It's very intense and crazy and there are some wicked hot dudes to look at...it's a win for everybody :) I have a bunch of the books but just can't seem to read them...guess I want the show to stay surprising. Let me know what you think!

chelsea rebecca said...

HOT DOG!
THANKS for the award. dang, you just made my day!!!
why is tv so good? why is trashy tv so good?? oh man... hahah. my dvr is filled with all reality shows. i'm guilty!!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how someone could think that about adoption. Too sad.

thenerdykatie said...

Awww thank you so much for the award :)

1. You can tell you like the scruffy men folk because your H looks just like Zach Gilifanakas (I know I spelled that wrong).

2. I totally get you on the water thing. I have problems standing somewhere that it has flooded, even when it's dry.

3. You need to tell me this blog so I can go leave some comments. My Momma was adopted!

sara said...

CR - Congrats! Seriously...bad tv is SO GOOD! I get sucked into the most ridiculous shows.

sara said...

K - I really don't either. How can you think it's a selfish choice? How can you think the only two options are parent or abort? It's crazy.

sara said...

Katie - Your welcome! Husband does look a little scruffy doesn't he?! :) He hasn't had the beard long, but I LOVE it!! We have a lake here that is a town that was flooded...the houses and streets and everything are still under the water...that's like a double whammy! I'll have to go back and see where I saw that post...just shocking...

Elsie said...

I loved this post! I also hate going into nautral bodies of water and have to finish movies once I've started. I think I've only NOT finished like two movies ever and that was because I was so bored that I actually walked away to get something and got distracted and forgot to come back. haha

Congrats on the award!

sara said...

Elsie - I'm so glad I'm not the only oner! It drives Husband crazy that I refuse to turn movies off!!

Jenny said...

SARA!!!! Thank you so much for the award you are all kinds of sweet for giving me that. Also, about the idiot that had the balls to talk about abortion as an alternative to adoption, I would like to kick them in the face. Some people are so damn stupid it amazes me! I am sorry that there are even people like that in the world. I am going to stop now because I feel my blood pressure rising.

Megan said...

Well, the person who said that about adoption is clearly an idiot. And unfortunately there's no shortage of idiots on the internet.

But in happier news, Pie is such a cutie! She looks like an angel in that pic so I'm not sure I believe you when you say she hasn't been so sweet lately. ;-)

Ian said...

:) thanks for the award!

sara said...

Jenny - Absolutely...was happy to pass it on! And I know what you mean...everytime I think about that post I can feel myself getting all kinds of mad.

sara said...

Congrats Ian!

Post a Comment

I talk, then you talk, and sometimes I talk back again. It's a conversation! And we can all pretend we're not internet shut-ins who never talk to anyone. Hooray!