November 1, 2010

If I didn't make that noise, and you didn't make that noise...

...then who did?

I kept thinking I would post about this, but then I would forget (shocking). Halloween is the perfect time to tell this story though. I'll preface this story by saying that until it happened to me, I was a total non-believer...
In college I lived in a haunted house. Not just an occasional noise, haunted house, but a full-fledged noises, conversations, things moving, people appearing haunted house. My roommate and I moved into a very old house just minutes away from campus. It was two bedrooms, one bath with a living room, dining room and kitchen. One of our first nights in the house I was just falling asleep (I hadn't even unpacked yet...just a mattress on the floor and my alarm clock were out, everything else was still in boxes). That's when I heard the footsteps.
I went completely still and listened. The footsteps started in the back of the house, in the kitchen, walked into the dining room, through the living room and stopped right at my open door. I couldn't believe someone had broken into the house and was mere feet away. I thought about what to do, then decided I would grab my alarm clock, flip over and wing it at the head of whoever was there. I counted to three, grabbed the alarm, flipped, and then...well then I sat there staring at an empty door.
Just as I thought I must have dozed off and dreamt the footsteps they turned around, walked back through the living room, back though the dining room and back into the kitchen. I was stunned for about half a heartbeat, then I started screaming and ran into my roommates room. I slept in her room for about two weeks...I was wicked freaked out.
Part two of the craziness tomorrow...