November 19, 2010

TRDC

Inspiration can come from many, many places as I'm sure you all know. For this week, we're going to turn to music.

Your assignment: write a piece (fiction or non-fiction) inspired by a song. It can be any song of your choosing.

If it is not clear from your story what the song is, throw us a bone and put a note at top or bottom of your post to let us know what you picked.

Rock on! (Or, you know, country up, or reggae, or a lullaby..you get the picture!)

*****

Okay so I'm going crazy...two weeks in a row outside my comfort zone. Last week with the serious fiction, and this week, non-fiction. I know! It's madness!

*****

"Oh, Mexico. It sounds so simple I just got to go. The sun's so hot I forgot to go home. Guess I'll have to go now"

My tiny feet balance on his. My little hands squeeze his strong fingers as hard as they can. They are strengthened by joy that is edged with fear. We spin. We dip. We laugh. I am completely weightless.

"Americano got the sleepy eye. But his body's still shaking like a live wire. Sleepy Senorita with the eyes on fire."

I am getting married. He wants to take dance lessons with me. For three months, once a week, we watch ourselves in the giant mirrors. My not so tiny feet try to avoid stepping on his. My bigger hands still grip his strengthened by joy. And then the wedding. The surprise at an unconventional music choice. The rumble of laughter in the room as we put on a show. We spin. We dip. We laugh. I am completely weightless.

"Oh, Mexico. It sounds so sweet with the sun sinking low. Moon's so bright like to light up the night. Make everything all right."

We are on vacation. He scoops my six month old baby girl into his arms. Her baby feet do not come any where near his, they dangle and swing under his arm. Her chubby hands grip his shirt. They are strengthened by joy that is edged with fear. They spin. They dip. They laugh. I am completely weightless.

*****