November 7, 2011

Ode to high school

I'm hooking up with Northwest Mommy for Monday Listicles again. This week's theme is pretty free-form. It's just anything about high school. So I think I'm going to do a half and half list of things I loved and things I hated during those years...

  1. LOVED: The dear friends I thought would be in my life forever. (Only one still is)
  2. HATED: Discovering most of those friends kind of sucked.
  3. LOVED: All my nerdy choir/drama time. I got to travel all over singing and be a general dork with people I genuinely liked.
  4. HATED: Feeling so damn awkward all the time.
  5. LOVED: My little car. Senior year I got a Honda hatchback and I loved that car. Had it not been totalled, I'd still probably have it.
  6. HATED: Being tall and curvy. For some reason high school boys aren't into that. It didn't help that most of me friends were like 6 inches shorter than I was and peppy. I never could do peppy.
  7. LOVED: All the music. My friends and I went to more concerts than I can count. I don't think I spent money on anything else during high school. We went and saw everything from They Might Be Giants to Prince, The Cranberries to the Indigo Girls. If a band came to town, chances were we'd be at the show.
  8. HATED: The pettiness. Even at the time I thought it was stupid and juvenile. I just have no patience for it. Perfect example: senior year a girl I had been friends whose boyfriend I worked with, freaked out on me. Apparently one day at work I leaned over, he looked down my shirt and dug what he saw. He told her and made it seem like some mutual activity (I didn't even know he'd been looking until later...no chance in hell there would have been mutual activity with that dude. ew) anyway she freaked and decided the best way to handle it was to climb onto the roof of an SUV in the senior parking lot when it was the most full, point at me and start screaming whore. Good times. Then she spent the better part of the next month or so trying to convince everyone that I was some man eating, boyfriend stealing, back dweller. Even better times.
  9. LOVED: That every once in awhile karma, is indeed, a bitch.
  10. HATED: A lot more than I loved. I never quite clicked in high school. I was happy to be done with it and move on even though it was filled with lots of happiness and good times. It just wasn't my place to shine. I was saving that for college apparently.
Wow. That was harder than I was expecting. Well coming up with the things I loved anyway :)