August 23, 2012

It makes me smile...but should I admit that?


The prompt, "Aside from your kids, pets, your husband, your coffee and your wine...what makes you smile?" I'm not sure why we can't talk about the wine...wine really does make me smile...mmmm...wine...

******************************
 
Alright here it is. My deep, dark secret. The thing other than my family (and of course that wine everyone is talking so much about) that makes me smile...
 
{+}

Yup. I'm coming out of the nerd closet. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that if you've been around awhile you may have already figured out my secret shame.

I'm crazy about school. I loved it in elementary, middle, and high school. I loved college. I really love the Masters program I'm in, and to increase my nerd level, I have about a year left in my Masters, but I'm already looking for the next degree I want.

There's something about learning, something about being exposed to the world in ways you didn't know about or through the lens of someone else's perspective that absolutely feeds my soul. And yes, I know how nerdy that sounds, but it's all true.

It's why I'm in school to become a teacher myself. I want to pass that gift on. My parents instilled in me the love of learning and reading. They taught me how important it is to approach things with an open mind, and to seek more.They showed me, through example, that you can learn from everything and everyone. And that it's a shame if you choose not to take advantage of that.

It's perhaps the greatest thing they have ever given me and I want to give that to others. I think when you gain that appreciation as a child it stays with you forever. And I can't think of a better way to spend my time, than showing children how amazing learning can be.

{+}

Sadly, I was even a nerd about that compilation above...Nerd Quirk # Gazillion - When displaying more than one Nerd Quirk in the same place must put them in the correct numerical order. {Hangs head in shame}