October 1, 2012

On Saying Goodbye

I did it. I said goodbye.

On Friday I went to my boss and told him I would be leaving. Leaving the only job I've ever had as an adult. Leaving the comfort of a good salary and a job I can do in my sleep. Leaving for the unknown.

I have been ignoring doctor's orders all year. They have told me I'm crazy to be working at a computer all day with the vision issues I have. And now they are telling me I'm actually starting to cause myself more damage.

I don't know what's waiting for me on the other side. Or how my family will survive. But I know that I can no longer ignore my health, and it is so bittersweet. I have long wanted to leave this job, but always thought it would be for bigger and better things.

I hate having my hand forced. And I really hate that it's for such a stupid reason. Effing Topomax.

So wish me luck. I'll be at this desk (the same one I've been sitting at for 13+ years) for another few weeks as I transition my job to others, and then...who knows?