September 28, 2010

Joyful Heart


Rebecca (aka Country-Fried Mama) is hosting an awesome and beyond important carnival today. Please take a second to read about it and then link up!

About this blog carnival: “The world I want for my children” is an effort to support The Joyful Heart Foundation, which was founded by Law & Order: SVU actress Mariska Hargitay to help victims of sexual assault mend their minds, bodies and spirits and reclaim their lives. Today, the foundation is at the forefront of an effort to end a disheartening backlog of tens of thousands of rape kits in labs across the country, a backlog that contributes to a rapist’s 80 percent chance of getting away with his crime. The backlog and its detrimental effects will be the topic of an SVU episode on September 29th.

Please help us raise awareness for this important work. What kind of world do you want for your children? Write your post and link up here.

*****

I sincerely thought I would sit down and knock this out. There is so much I want for Pie that I thought I'd have too much for a single post. Turns out I want so much that I can't even smash it into rational thoughts. But I'm going to try...


The world I want for my daughter is:

  • one where the fact that she is in a family created by open adoption is looked at as awesome because she has so many people to love her instead of something weird and different
  • one where the fact that she is multi-racial (though she doesn't necessarily look it) is a reason for celebration instead of ridicule
  • one where she can date/live with/marry anyone she chooses. ANYONE. Any person of either gender and of any ethnicity and won't face discrimination because of her choice
  • one where she could work at a fast food joint or be a doctor and either way her contributions will be valued
  • one where the size of her house, the emblem on her car or the designer of her clothes is not the determining factor of her worth
  • one in which she feels as safe and secure as she does within my arms

This list is really just the tiny, tip of the iceberg of what I want for her. But ultimately I want this little girl to be happy.


And I hope against hope she never has to deal with sexual assault...like I did.