March 11, 2011

TRDC - Beauty in Ugliness

Assignment:
This week's assignment is to write a short piece, either fiction or non-fiction, about something ugly - and find the beauty in it.

*****************

I'm going to veer a little off course with this one. Instead of my typical smart ass fiction, I'm going to write a letter to Pie. So here we go...

Result:

My Darling Girl -

I toss and turn at night sometimes thinking about your future. The world, and the people in it, can be really ugly. This world can be a very difficult place for people who are different. And you, my dear, are different.

Part of your difference, is that you are adopted. That means you have a family that is twice the size of most. You have me and Dada and our families, and you also have your bios and their families. We think that makes you one lucky girl. Other people may not.

Another difference, that may be an even bigger issue, is that you are mixed race. Your bio dad is African American and Chinese and your bio mom is Caucasian and Native American. This is another thing that we think makes you fantastic and special. But let's face it...we live in the south...people here can be very closed minded. I'm so afraid that one day other people's ugliness will make you feel badly about yourself.

The most important thing for you to know is that you are amazing. Every difference about you is what makes you so unique. All of those things that other people may not like are things we love about you. They are things that your entire, huge family loves about you.

You should also know that despite its ugliness, the world can be a really beautiful place. There are people who will love you for all of the reasons someone else may not like you. There are places that will take your breath away. There are times you will wish would just stand still.

All of that beauty will allow you to have experiences that will bring joy like you can't imagine. Being your mom is that for me. No matter how much ugliness may be out there, you are all the beauty that I need.

I love you,
Mama